What You Can Do
Our goal is to stop crimes against children. Objectives include:
- Promoting parental awareness and child safety tips;
- Providing communities with pro-active steps for creating safer neighborhoods;
- Establishing children’s rights by affecting legislation that will protect children.
Nothing is more important than the safety and protection of our children. The key to their safety is awareness, education and prevention.
- Give them the tools necessary to protect their own safety.
- Teach them self-esteem and self-preservation.
- They have to realize that they can listen to their feelings, and talk to trusted grown-ups about their problems and concerns.
- Fingerprint your children and keep a current photo in a safe place.
Although we are very busy maneuvering day to day life, adults must be educated about child safety as well.
- Just because we have the ability to create a child doesn’t mean that we have the right to abuse them.
- Parents must take personal responsibility for their children’s nurturing.
- Please don’t look the other way. Children deserve a chance to grow up into positive, productive adults.
Know your neighborhood. It’s one of the most important things you can do to guarantee the safety of your children.
- Show them the safest places to play, and areas to avoid, like dark alleys.
- Most importantly, know your neighbors.
- The more you know about your neighborhood, the safer your family will be.
Work with your local law enforcement to organize a neighborhood watch program.
- Working together to protect each other’s children and property is one of the most effective crime fighting tools available.
- Remember, it takes the village to raise the child.
You can be a role model to your family and community by simply volunteering for a cause that is meaningful, so get involved
- Volunteer at your children’s school, or in an after school program.
- Join a fraternal organization like the Rotary, Kiwani’s or Lyon’s Club. They all prioritize pro-active child safety programs.
- Work with your church to provide after school programs for at-risk youth.
Legislation will not stop crimes against children, but it will set precedent and deal with known offenders.
- Telephone or write to your legislators at all levels and demand that they support laws that are protective of and designed to benefit children.
- Give authorized Internet crime fighters the funding to arrest and prosecute individuals who trade in child pornography
- Support Megan’s Law and Jessica’s Law
- Promote prevention funding for at-risk youth. Every dollar invested into an effective prevention program pays huge dividends down the line.
Nothing is more important than our children. By linking arms and pursuing common goals, together we can insure that the world that our children inherit from us is safer and more secure than the one we live in today.